Wednesday 28 March 2007

The Other Side of Faith

Yesterday the UK team got some hard news. We do not have the funding we initially projected for the team to launch as we planned this year. At this moment I am faced with question of faith. Do I believe what I cannot see or the circumstances I see in front of me?

My heart is leaning towards holding on to promises and scripture because it is it tendency to hope, while my head is racing with escape plans and damage control schemes. It is in these moments that I rediscover that faith not a one-time decision based on repeating some prayer in the front of a church with people cheering on your decision to dedicate your life to Christ as a Saviour. Actually faith has a point of initiation but it has to be chosen continually – habitually if you will for it to actually be effective and true.

It is like marriage, you do not say your vows on your wedding day and swipe your brow and say, "phew, I am glad I don't have to do that again," but the reality is you do. When your spouse has incensed you to the end of your patience, you have to choose to recommit to your vows. To have and hold, even when you want to let go; in sickness and health even when the thought of being with that person another minute makes you nauseous; until death do you part especially all your thoughts are devoted to clever ways to expedite the process. In those moments one has to choose again to believe that the relationship is worth restoring even though you can not see how or why it is necessary.

Choice is the other side of the coin that is faith. One does not exist without the other. So I am praying, again, that I make the choice to believe that which I do not see at this moment to come to pass because it was promised. Right now, I choose to choose faith in something more.

No comments: