Thursday 15 March 2007

Funny

Funny how things just fall into place. I had the opportunity to help someone who's life is lets just say not exactly in the best of places. Everything in me said it is not logical and he is not on the best of terms with many people on this campsite. Something in my heart told me that it was the right thing to do.

His name is Edwin and he loves metal, has big hair and a heart to match. He was on the C-Kruis teams for two years and recently his parents divorces emigrated from South Africa and left him here to fend for himself. He really wants to be on the US team next year but with all the recent set-backs it seems to becoming a distant dream. I offered to give him a place to stay, raise funds and meet with pertinent people about his future.

On the way to my home we were a bit anxious as we discussed the guidelines of having a 19 year old in my home. I wondered how he would fill his days and find work since there was no transportation and my place is quite remote. There were other questions too but I had a sense of peace. When we were dropped off we ran in to my neighbour, Greg, and exchanged our usual greetings over the fence. I introduced him to Edwin and Greg's next sentence was, "do you think any of your students might work for me at the end of the month?" And I smiled and reintroduced him to Edwin. Then my other neighbour Hannes, poked his head from his flat and how he was because I noticed that the pizza place where he worked was now closed. He told me that he would work with Greg until he starts his course in sound technology.

My mind raced and I called Edwin back outside and introduced the two. They are both into the same music and Edwin ran sound for our teams. Immediately they started chatting and Edwin exposed Hannes to Christian metal. I could almost hear God saying, "See I told you!" In a matter of moments Edwin had made a new friend and had the opportunity to work. Like I said early, it is funny how things just seem to fall into place.

No comments: