Thursday 5 February 2009

Cooking Without Gas


One of the joys I am experiencing in Portugal is cooking for the first time on a wood burning stove.

Tonight I made my entire dinner on the gem you see pictured above. I am discovering how to manage the temperatures with varying amounts of wood and the proximity to the fire, and the thickness of the pan. It is a constant juggling to make a meal on the stove top and the oven but I got the hang of it. With a stone top I was able to keep my tea warm while I was cooking in addition to keep the home warm. I have to admit the food tastes richer and cooks faster.

My hat is off to those in the world who are rocking the wood stoves day in and day out. I also have a deeper respect for my forefathers who dreamed of such a luxury to care for their family. When I think of all the chopping of wood, letting it dry, hauling it into the house, then putting it to work in the kitchen. All in a days work! What is reality for others, is a temporary joy for me. Makes me think and appreciate the work of my relatives.

No comments: