Wednesday 23 July 2008

Practice Makes Perfect

Yesterday I had the opportunity to teach the Snow kids on friendship using the learning task methods of Jane Vella. Reckoning will incorporate this style of teaching into our workshops and art interventions this fall so it was mutually beneficial to have this opportunity – the kids got to learn about something they wanted to know about and I also had the opportunity to learn and practice.

Being the first to teach of the Reckoning Clan during the kids summer break, I knew it would be a challenge to engage the kids who I am sure were thinking of a million things they would rather be doing – like sleeping or being outside on the first sunny day in weeks – so it was a rocky start. As we mover through the exercises, the kids became more engaged and lights started to go on as the information started to connect with their personal lives. I have to say it was a lot of fun to watch that happen and I am looking forward to teaching part two.

The kids will also have classes in cooking, sewing, clothes redesign, tie-dying, which will be taught by Ali and Shawna. I will also teach a class on finding God in unusual places. Hopefully this will allow the kids to have an interesting and fulfilling summer and the Reckoning girls will have the opportunity to hone their skills in preparation for the fall.

No comments: