Sunday 22 June 2008

What A Day


You ever have one of those mornings that you wish you could stay in bed all day but can’t because you are expected somewhere and it is too late to cancel?

That is how this morning started for me. I was sick and spent most of the previous afternoon in bed trying to stave of whatever bug that was trying to keep me down. When I tried to open my puffy eyes I could feel that my head was on the verge of imploding under the sinus pressure. But I had to get up it was Reckoning’s first event today in Bos en Lommer!

We got the kids ready and dressed and out the door 10 minutes after we were suppose to leave and the throbbing in my head seemed to quicken as my pace did through out the day. We made out way to the Bos en Lommerplein and I jumped out of the car to track down anyone who could let us know where we our booth would be located. It took 7 degrees of separation before I found someone I recognized and could take me to the one person who had the lay of the land and pointed us in the right direction. At this point I was trying to convince myself that it would be worth staying after the set up instead of returning to the comfort and warmth of bed.

It has been my experience though on days like these, when you have nothing to give beyond your presence and you are not really sure you even want to offer that much, that wonderful things happen. Things you never imagined or thought to ask for; today was no different.

It was miraculous that we were asked to be in this festival in the first place. Through the sports and culture director of Bos en Lommer, we were unexpectedly introduced to the New West Regional Directors of Cultural Arts and Education. These two women were so impressed with our off the cuff presentation of Reckoning that they provided a booth for Reckoning to participate in the upcoming Festival in Bos en Lommer. They wanted to help us initiate relationships with the community we desired to work in. For this reason I got up and went and stayed.

But in reality I got more than I expected by being there. We had so many kids show up and watching them express their creativity was well worth it! There are so many stories but I will share my favorite of the day. At one point I think we had about 15 kids making Artist’s Trading Cards and about 7 kids painting at the canvas, three little boys came up to the art supplies and each grabbed what they could and ran off in separate directions but met behind shed on the other side of the road. I am sure that they assumed Ali and I were too busy to see them but I caught the whole thing. So I left the kids and walked around to the side of the building and held out my hands. It was amazing how quickly the kids started making excuses in English. I took the items said thank you and walked away. I told them they could come back and participate if they wanted to. A few hours later when we were cleaning up I saw the boy who was the ring leader standing off to the corner. I grabbed a set of coloring pencils and walked over to him. He immediately started saying, “ I did not take anything else, I swear!”

I stopped him and said, “I know, now that we are finished I want you to have them – here’s two more for your friends.”

He was really confused; he did not know whether to be sad or happy. “I told you, I did not take more, why are you giving me this? I took from you, I don’t deserve this.”

“Maybe not, but I want to give them to you anyways.” So these are for you, I hope you can use them.”

“Thank you …I am sorry…thank you,” he mumbled with his head held down.

I reached down and touched his shoulder and I waited for him to look up and then I said, “You’re welcome, I hope I see you when I come back in October, bring your friends.”

He put his head down then walked away. When he crossed the street I saw him look back and flash me a big smile.

I could not think of a better way to express grace. When you deserve to be punished for your action but instead you are given what you do not deserve. I hope that is the experience that he left with. I also experienced it myself in that I was feeling horrible and did not want to be there, but having that moment made me realize that I also received more than I gave or deserved.

No comments: