Wednesday 18 June 2008

Choosing Joy


“I have the best mom ever!”

These are the unsolicited words of a five year old after she received an unexpected bike from her mother, Shawna Snow.

Apparently, while out shopping for a bike for her son, Shawna decided to purchase more sophisticated bicycle for the wee one. When the bike was dropped at the house Shawna had to go to the bank. Shea burst out to the back to tell me about her new bike. We ran back into the house to revel in her delight. As she was describing all the improvements over her old bike, her excitement grew and eventually sang out, “I have the best mom ever!”

Watching her joy, made me think about how I so easily forget to be awe-filled and thankful when unexpected provision comes my way. In that moment I became envious of her abundant and sustainable glee. I wish I could celebrate that way, instead of quickly snapping back into the ever-present problems in my reality. How did I loose that ability? Why was I convinced that joy is fleeting, when it is actually a choice and perspective? When did I start shifting so quickly to what is temporary and changing my viewpoint, choices and emotions accordingly?

For over an hour Shea waited for her mom to return from the bank, but her fervor only grew with time. When Shawna retuned from Shea’s maiden voyage on the bike, I was invited to take a spin with her as well. So much to ponder in that moment, but then I stopped and decided to live in the excitement brought on by this invitation. I shifted internally and together, lead by the grace of a five year old, I leaned into bliss.

No comments: