Thursday 24 May 2007

Harry Potter Angst

Being in London, I get to catch glimpses of the inspiration of the famed Harry Potter series. I am a fan of these books and I eagerly anticipate the coming of the last allotment in less than 30 days (yes I am counting). This morning I caught a glimpse of one of those Christian books that dissect the evils of the Potter when often they have not rear the book, seen the movies or had any kind of discussion with the author about her intentions and says so proudly as if they have staved off some incurable disease by avoiding all contact of 20 degrees of separation from the point of origin. So as you can surmise I was not delighted.


I guess as a Christian I would rather avoid the sterile approach to life. I would much rather explore things that are interest of people so that I might be able to meet them at their perspective instead of colliding with them in judgement and ignorance. I am not saying indulge in anything just to gain introspection – that would be stupid and irresponsible. There are some people who should avoid things they are sensitive to or know will cause them unnecessary trauma, but if you do not have a problem and you are not getting flashing red lights from your inner gut, maybe it is worth investigating. How can you comment on anything with any kind of efficacy unless you have first-hand facts upon which to base your knowledge


I often hear Christians say that Harry is becoming darker with each story so it is proof that the author is sinister and leading kids into the occult. Usually when people make this statement, I ask them if they have read the books or seen the movies, to which I get a blank stare. I usually walk away before I say something rash, but this time I asked how they could make such a statement with such fever without research? I listened to this person's biased apologetics, ignorant of honest examination, and started to question the logic. Can a person's life be "good" if they are becoming more moody and dark?


Well Potter fans know that Harry has been on a quest to know the truth of his story the his parents fate, and discover who he is destined to become all the while battling the source of his greatest pain in life – the wizard responsible for the deaths of so many people he loved. Not knowing how the series ends, I cannot help seeing themes that are of major import. Harry currently is coming to terms with the evil that touched his life and its effects – now isn't that the struggle of man? Just when we think we have conquered the beast outside of ourselves, don't we always have to deal with the beasts within? When we are struggling with our inner demons, do we not become confused, moody and at times a pain to be with? It does not mean that a person is intrinsically evil or aims to go that way because they are struggling, or have some Christians made it easier on themselves to categorize people into groups so they can avoid the messy ones and cultivate those deemed worthy according to a frame of reference that can be devoid of compassion.


I guess I see life more complicated than that and until you die your journey on this planet continues and can change without notice. That is what makes it interesting. I believe we are this dance with God where we can either lead or be lead. I think we struggle with ourselves over who will lead. He has no problem, but it is our choice. So we constantly turn and twist according to our wills – to me this is what makes the dance beautiful and graceful when viewed from a distance and perspective. One can not focus only on the footwork of the dance to determine the choreography's worth. Sometimes a mistake in footwork produces something new and interesting other times it is a blunder you try to recover from and laugh about later, but it does not mess up the dance. Maybe Harry's last dance will prove the critics right for their careful scrutiny of perceived missteps, but I prefer to watch the whole piece hoping that Harry's dance, as I hope my own, will flow with grace.

No comments: