Tuesday 27 June 2006

Discovering South Africa

Today I made my first trek to the Northern Province. It is so beautiful; lush green trees and deep blue sky on a cold crisp morning. The lady travelling with me kept saying, I never expected to find a place like this in Africa.

I went to visit an outreach team in Sekororo (near Kruger Park), which is a rural area which is primary black and poor. Two missionaries, Wilma and Casper, moved there to plant a church and assist in community development. They are so grateful to have a team to assist them during the holiday week.

The team will spend their time teaching vacation bible school, doing workshops, building projects and leading worship. They love it there!

One of the girls who came to an evening meeting cried and held on to one of the team members because she had never heard God presented in a way that implied love and freedom the way our team expressed it. My eyes were filled with tear constantly as I heard story after story of lives changing.

Spending these few hours in this lush beauty juxtaposed with abject poverty really struck me. I had one of those inspirational moments where I know I was born to do this. Times like these allow me the inspiration I need to carry on when times are rough.

No comments: