Thursday 26 February 2009

Carnival Portuguesa Style


Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the culmination of the carnival celebrations throughout February. Since I have been in Portugal for almost a month, I felt obliged to join in the celebration.

The Monday prior is “the” night to celebrate all that would be forsaken for lent. The collection of characters who became friends congregated at Silk (a club that boasts a beautiful view of Lisboa from their roof-top terrace), and I invited my new friend Christy to join me for a night of dancing under the stars until the sun dared to rise. I have not laughed so hard in a long time. The costumes ranged from tragic to magnificent, but everyone was jovial as they sang Portuguese songs. I had a great time dancing and singing along (when I could in Spanish). For more pictures go to my photo album.

No comments: