Monday 24 March 2008

Figuring it Out!

One thing about life …there are a million supposed to’s. You are suppose to pray at 5AM at the latest, you’re supposed to floss after each meal, you are supposed to …fill in the blank! One of these sticklers has recently come to a head with me personally around the mystic of writing. The mystic about being a proven pen jockey can make you a little nuts when you are starting out. The when, how, and whys are presented in a way that is so regimented for something that is suppose to be creative. How to you make an appointment with yourself to create something that was not before?

Needless to say I have been frustrated with the process of finding a process. Let’s just say that I have identified many supposed truism that are ring false when it comes to myself and others like me. Today, I found some relief at the library while combing through literary magazines digging for ideas and critiquing groups. I discovered that I am not crazy, just me when it comes to writing. Some one out there has validated my insane process so that I can take a deep breath and relax.

I am a sporadic writer and I am okay with it. Basically writing and I have a manic on and off relationship. Recently I went through my old diaries and discovered I have a long history of this pattern. There would be periods where I could not put my pen down, writing for hours a day, then one day it would just dry up. Eventually I would return to the page with incredible passion – but something always made me feel guilty for not being consistent. I would eventually get over it and enjoy the flow of words on the page. Thanks to a brief of “The Write Type” by Peterson, I feel vindicated! I ordered the book and look forward to nurturing my muse.


No comments: