Wednesday 6 June 2007

I’ve Got Nothin’

For the past few weeks I have sat down to blog or write I stare at the computer screen and get….nothing! Everyone who knows me can attest that I always have an opinion, quip, thought or at least comment to give even when unsolicited – but lately nothing.


I am not worried that I have nothing to say, I just don't have it in me to express at this time. Maybe it is because I have spent so much time writing proposals and speaking in meetings as of late, that I am literally our of words by the time I get the keyboard. I realised this after Lourens and I left with a friend for a meeting in a city an hour North of London. By the time we arrived home at 16h I was so exhausted that I got into bed after dinner – that's 18H15 people!


I was just tired but I could not sleep. I watched episodes of TV shows and spoke to no one for four hours. When I remerged at 22h, I was full of energy. When I thought over the day I realised that our friend was rather talkative and I had been in conversation with him, including a meeting with his boss, from 7h30 until 15h30. No wonder I was finished!


Being an introvert, I need quiet and alone time to charge my inner battery and refresh. Every week I purposely make time to be alone so I can go back and engage fully with others. I now live in a house with 11 others, so quiet is not a common commodity, and I spend just about everyday of the week in conversation with others in some context for the majority of the day so my weekly dates with myself usually suffice but yesterday was the mega load!


Now that I am aware of this, I know that after today…another marathon with the person from yesterday, I need to immediately disconnect and recharge, otherwise I look at people with a vacuous stare and mumble the words, "I've got nothin'."

No comments: