Tuesday 1 May 2007

Driving in Kent

Believe it or not I drove for my first time in the UK. I have driven in many other European cities but London has been one I have avoided vehemently. Every time I saw the aggressive way the drivers attacked the road and often each other, it really put me off. Why drive when you can catch the tube, take a bus or walk anywhere you want to go – often faster and cheaper than in a car.


My friend Suzanne is entering her 36th week of pregnancy and she let her licence lapse, so I have become her chauffer of sorts to help her out. She live in Chiselhurst, which is in Kent, where the roads are narrow and the scenery is lush and green this time of year. We needed to fetch her husband from the station last night because he had too many things to carry or so he would have us believe.


And of course they have a SAAB sedan in impeccable shape, which was parked in a lot that could only be described as an obstacle course – each neighbour parks their Jag, Range Rovers and Mercedes as they please in parking area that is common to the surrounding three homes. No pressure! Everything was different, the console looked like that of a jet while the gearbox consisted of some ancient Chinese secret to lend it self to reverse.


I took a deep breathe and eased the car pack. I was frightened when the parking assistant started to ring, letting me know there was a multi-thousand pound vehicle at my rear. Eventually I found my footing and eased through the narrow gate that leads into traffic. I was to go left, so I reached for what I thought was the turn indicator only to turn on the windshield wipers. Passing motorist looked as perplexed as I felt in that moment. Eventually I found the indicator on the opposite side of my familiarity and turned off the offending wipers. I had embarrassed my self, so it was time to try again. I made it to the station and back with out further events. Andrew, Suzanne's husband complimented me on my driving and enjoyed being driven around for a change.


Today Suzanne and I ran errands in the neighbouring towns. I had the discomfort of driving down streets svelter than a super-model's waist with cars parked on either side with oncoming traffic. It was like driving on a tight rope! Then I came to the mystical London circle where everyone knows the rules but abandons them in favour of personal convenience. I took a deep breathe and entered the large circle that had about 5 exits, 2 of which were ones that I could not enter. We made it through without incident.



When we made it home and I turned off the ignition and exclaimed, "I've been baptised!"

No comments: