Wednesday 11 April 2007

TIA

For all you Blood Diamond fans, I had a true TIA (This is Africa) day and it is only 10h30 in the morning.


Let me recount


Yesterday a student who desperately had to go to Home Affairs with me (it is a government office that processes legal documents for the country) and begged me for days to take him with as I was going to extend my South African visa. I explained it would be out of the way for me to come back to the camp to fetch him and it would need to be early because I wanted to get there 15 mins before they opened because I needed to make an appointment at the camp later that morning. He pleaded and said he would be in front of my office at 6h30. So I drove back to the camp, waited and waited at our agreed upon location. When I went looking for him he tells me that he decided to stay behind and did not call me because he figured I was not coming.


Late, I make my way to the highway that is now congested with the morning grind (Oh close your mouth – yes we have traffic caused by actual cars in South Africa). I am chiding myself for going against my better judgement while trying to convince myself that contrary to what I might feel, it will not be one of those days. There is a long cue at the door and it is 7h35, the office was suppose to open at 7h30, but TIA so I have learned to expect less than prompt openings and premature closings. So I wait and wait and wait. I check my calendar to make sure it is not another SA holiday I am not aware of but it is not true and the person I spoke with yesterday confirmed their hours. After 30 minutes I can see people milling inside so I know they will eventually come to our rescue. 90 minutes pass before someone saunters to the door and opens it with out explanation or remorse. When I arrive at my counter I ask why the inordinate tardiness, "Oh we had a meeting offsite." And when I asked why there was no notice on the door or why I was told when I called yesterday of the changed hours. I was told, get this, people will wait until we open.

Frustrated I start my application sans pertinent documents I was not told to bring in previous conversations, but through calls and a neighbourhood shop with a fax I managed to secure everything needed. With my feathers sufficiently ruffled, I somehow managed to shake of the frustration and marched semi-triumphantly to the counter. As I stretched out my arm to put the papers on the counter, the power went out before the documents hit the counter. "Sorry you will have to come back, please leave the building." I asked if I could leave the documents and pay my fee because all the receipts are done by hand, I was told there was nothing he could do because they had to close.


Yes so like I said TIA!

No comments: