Monday 30 April 2007

Ah Rats

My last day in Africa was a roller coaster ride. I expected my departure to be emotional but there were a few surprises along the way.


Saying goodbye to the team members was one of the hardest things I have had to do. What I thought would take an hour turned into two and a half. We cried and laughed with them as we recalled moments and walked through some painful moments. It is hard to leave when the team leaves for their first touring cycle because it is a pivotal and exciting time. The night before I was blessed with a beautifully decorated box filled with letters of thanks and encouragement. I sat up most of the night reading through all the heart felt sentiments. I did not realise how much influence I had been in the lives of so many people until I saw it on paper. Even people I had little contact with seemed to feel that my presence added value to their time at 13thFLOOR.


After crying for what felt like days with the team I rushed home to finish packing and get ready to leave for church and the airport. For the first time my excitement started to peak as my South African responsibilities were coming to an end. I could not help singing praises in the car; the time of long anticipation was finally in my sights. I thought to myself now I can be happy and celebrate….


My landlord was suppose to meet me so I could give him the keys to the house and have a final walk-thru. We scheduled 10h30 so I would have plenty of time to get to church by 12. At about 11 I called to find my landlord out shopping and running errand near Johannesburg (an hour away). I alerted friends I would be late and set about waiting in my unfurnished home. There was no where to sit, so I leaned against the kitchen counter searching for some logical, spiritual or decent reason for this unscheduled pause in my life. I was surprisingly calm considering the list of things I need to accomplish before leaving. About 12h45 I started getting calls from people waiting at church to see me. My landlord was still 20 minutes away and I could not exit the property without my keys nor was there anywhere to leave the keys for him to collect later. My high was starting to wane now and just when I was about to envision all that could go wrong, my landlord arrived 5 mins before 13h.


I rushed to the car and rapidly drove to Chilles, the bar where we meet for church and found my very patient friends waiting to say farewell. In addition to our regular crowd, most of the NieuCommunities gang was there plus a few 13thFLOOR alumnae. It was a wonderful to see both old and new friends gathered together. Due to delays I missed the sermon, but I felt that I learned so much about God by seeing my friends and having last conversations. I will miss gathering with them.


Hilde was my chauffer to the airport. I thought it was fitting that she take me, as she was my first contact with C-Kruis (now 13thFLOOR) in 2004. She arrange for me to see the show that would change my future and introduced me to Flaps, the man who invited me to remain in South Africa. On the way we laughed about relationships; the near-misses, faux pas and hope that make dating a constant source of entertainment. I will really miss having her right across the hall. Who am I going to talk with now?


After a few rearranged errands, we arrived at the airport about 16h. I went through security, paid my excess luggage and then got the news. My flight was delayed three hours! Good thing I was not in a panic to get to the airport in spite of the days hold-ups! This meant I would have more time to spend with Hilde so we had a snack and continued our conversation. As I walked her to the parking lot and said goodbye, I realised I was saying goodbye to was my last significant tie to South Africa. Neither of us wanted to cry, but I knew that as soon as we parted the tears would come. And indeed they did.


I made my way into the security area to use the dinner voucher SAA provided. It was billed as a great restaurant, but it was a step above a glorified cafeteria. I had my chicken and then began to wait. After some time I decided to have a chair message to work out the kinks brought on by days of packing and the cold winter. It was heaven. I could feel my stress melting away – my muscles became jello like and gave way to the masseuse's pressure. Five minutes before it was over an announcement was made, "Flight SA 236 to London Heathrow will be delayed until 2 AM." I sat up and released my contribution to the communal moan heard around the international waiting area. Let's just say my muscles were no longer as pliable.


After my treatments, I made my way to SAA's corporate offices. I wanted to know what was happening. Was this new delay one in a series of delays to put off the flight a day without paying lodging us or was there a dare I say good reason. Then I heard the words that became the title of this rant. Rats!


Apparently, a rat was found on board and they spent almost two hours trying to catch it. Eventually they gave up and did what in my opinion should have been done first, fumigated the plane. I stared bleary eyed at the woman as she explained that the plane had to be tented for 4 hours and we would indeed leave at 2 AM.



What an ending to my time in South Africa. I cannot say I am surprised that something of this magnitude happened on such an auspicious day, especially with my track record. As I drifted off to sleep, I chuckled and mumbled the words, "…of course, rats."

No comments: